Monday, August 4, 2008

paper peonies

A while back, I had posted on how I wanted to try to make these paper flowers from a Martha Stewart kit.

I found the kit on sale at Michaels, so decided to give it a try. So without further ado, I give you my crafty attempt to make Martha Stewart's Crepe Paper Peonies.

All the components of the kit: Crepe paper, floral tape, wire stems, glue, instructions, & templates.

First step was to cut out all the crepe paper petals and leaves using the provided templates.
(this took a loooong time)


All the materials once everything was cut out. Time to start assembling!

First, I covered the long floral stems with floral tape, like so:
Cutting fringe on the piece that will become the flower centers...

Wrapping a fringed piece around the floral stem...

...to create the center of the flower:

Then I "shaped" the leaves by lightly stretching the crepe paper and molding it into shape.
(this took some practice to get it right)
Then I started attaching petals to the stem. Working with one petal at a time, I attached each with glue and molded it to shape.

Then you just keep attaching petals ...each flower uses about 14 petals.

A finished flower:
The second color flower finished:

The leaves were fairly simple. I just glued the floral stems onto the center of each leaf and wrapped the remaining stem in floral tape.
And voila! A finished bouquet:


This project took a lot longer than I thought it would. I started it and kept working on it a little bit here and there until I finally finished it a few weeks later. It took some patience to mold the petals to get the right shape--Crepe paper can be tricky to work with. Overall though, I think they turned out fairly nice. Not perfect like the Martha Stewart picture, but still pretty enough to be a table centerpiece.

5 comments:

calbrecan said...

Those turned out beautifully! I think I'm inspired to give them a whirl.

Unknown said...

Hello! I found your tutorial.
I would like to translate it into Russian and post it in my site. I will mention you and your site (let me know which one).
Is it possible? What will be your condition?
Delia
My site is www.tatianka.ru

veena said...

wow!!!!! so beautiful!

Leah said...

These are so wonderful to make with coffee filters. You can actually paint them with watercolors and they are heavenly.

Alka said...

Very beautiful. The instrucion is very perfect. I would also try to make one.