Tuesday, August 12, 2008

olympics + gershwin = gold

I feel like all I want to do is go home and watch the Olympics. It's like I'm addicted...The little red record button on the tivo has been on non-stop recording all the primetime coverage. It's been nothing but Olympics on the TV in our apartment for the past three days...and it will probably be that way up until the closing ceremonies. Maybe Michael Phelps quest for world history has a little bit to do with that....

Anyways... just like the Superbowl, the Olympics coverage means we get to see fresh, innovative, specialized advertising to highlight the games and its sponsors. Big name athletes and endorsements galore! I actually really like a lot of this year's Olympic commercials; Home Depot, Coca Cola
, and Visa have put out some good spots. (McDonalds, on the other hand, I cannot say the same for you--your advertising seems to get worse and worse every year in my eyes).

The commercials I've enjoyed the most though are United Airlines new whimsical, artistic spots featuring George Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue. I love, Love, LOVE Rhapsody in Blue in all it's musical glory, so the minute I heard this on the TV I was intrigued. I actually was thinking, "Who was genius enough to use Gershwin in their ads?" and when United popped up as the advertiser, I was a little surprised. Totally not expecting United Airlines, but props to their marketing department for merging such classic music with innovative, design-savvy artwork. Brilliance!

The Sea Orchestra spot is my favorite. The animation alludes to paper ephemera cut-outs and I really like that. :)




No comments: