Monday, July 14, 2008

Beethoven's 6th

Call me a nerd, but I enjoy listening to classical music, especially if I have it playing softly when I go to sleep at night. My favorite classical piece is Beethoven's 6th Symphony, also known as the Pastoral symphony. It's light and airy and quite lovely.

After revisiting all those old Disney cartoons on Youtube last week, I remembered the animated short from Disney's Fantasia that features Beethoven's 6th. Fantasia (1940) always seemed like the "boring" Disney movie, but this segment about the creatures of Greek mythology playing and enjoying a lovely pastoral day was always one of my favorites. I think it's pretty amazing how the creative team at Disney coordinated the animated story to perfectly coincide with Beethoven's music...it's almost as if the music was written specially for the cartoon.





No comments: