Tuesday, May 13, 2008

a rare approval of SJP

The Sex and the City movie premiered in London and the ladies were out in full force on the red carpet wearing some...interesting...fashions.

Let's critique!
Kristin Davis (Charlotte): her dress is kinda...blah. Boring hair. Boring shoes. She just sorta blends in with the red carpet. She must still be channeling Charlotte's character, cuz she's all sorts of conservative.

Cynthia Nixon (Miranda): Overall, her look is working. She looks great with the hair and makeup but I'm not feeling the uber-low neckline that creates a boxy V-neck. It looks like she just has really really wide suspenders holding up a sparkly skirt. She definitely stands out though and I think she's the best looking one of the bunch.

Kim Cattrall (Samantha): err...um...it's Okay, I guess. It kinda ages her. The dress is somewhere between Scottish tartan plaid and old Christmas wrapping paper. I do like that she pulled her hair back, but you'd expect something a little more...oh, I don't know...sexy...from the one who played the most outspoken, no-holds-barred character on the show.

and of course, Sarah Jessica Parker as Carrie:

Now, I know what you're gonna say: "what's that ugly thing on her head?!"

But...I kinda like it...

First off, I just wanna say that I applaud her for wearing a hat (if that's what you can call the topiary on her head). I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I love fancy hats and I think women should dress up and wear dramatic hats more often--bring back some of that old world glamor. So props to SJP for rocking the headpiece. She's always taking fashion risks and it's part of whats propelled her to such fashion acclaim.

Now, I'm not saying it's the prettiest or most attractive of headgear, but somehow it works and she pulls it off. If she didn't have it, she'd just be wearing a typical cocktail dress that looks like it's a costume from the Swan Lake ballet, since her hair and accessories aren't doing much on their own. But the "hat" makes the outfit. It brings that crazy, avante-garde fashion sense that Carrie rocked on the show, so I see it as only fitting that she wear something that got everyone talking. It's rare that I like Sarah Jessica Parker, but she owned the hat, and the whole look, so for that...I commend her.

I just wouldn't want to be sitting behind her during the movie.

pictures from OMG!

No comments: