Friday, July 10, 2009

Guest post & the best burgers

I spent July 4th weekend with my family at the beach and for dinner one night, my sister made us all "special" gourmet burgers along with sweet corn on the cob. The burgers were delicious! So good that I invited her to share the recipe with you all! Take it away Amy:

My work for the Navy keeps me traveling and on the road all the time.  I've been able to go to some pretty cool places and have eaten some really great food. On my last trip, I was in downtown Seattle and happened to have lunch at this tiny bistro called Matt's in the Market, across from the famous Fish Market that's always being shown on TV.  I ordered the "Lamb Burger".  

When it was served to me, everything on the plate just looked fabulous--a true gourmet burger! I assumed it would be good.  I was wrong....it was the best burger I have ever had!  Each bite was so flavorful and delicious.  All textures were tasted: creamy, tangy, crunchy, sweet, fresh, and hearty!  I had to compliment the manager before we left because it was such a great dish, and he graciously told me how they make it.  After I came back home from my trip, I immediately tried to recreate the burger.  I had to modify the dish a little, but I managed to do it without making it taste that different from the restaurant!  Here's what I did:

Burger
Toasted Brioche Bread Buns (if you can find them, if not then get freshly baked kaiser buns without the sesame seeds)
Thick Cut Bacon
1 or 2 Onions (depending on how many burgers you're making)
Butter
2 Garlic Cloves
Grilled Hamburger patties--beef, turkey, or lamb
Fresh Arugula
Goat Cheese (either regular or garlic and herb flavored, whichever you prefer)

Aioli
1 TSP Dijon Mustard
1 Cup of Olive Oil
1 Egg Yolk
2 Minced Garlic Cloves
Salt & Pepper
1 TSP Water
1 TSP lemon juice

To make the Aioli:  (I did my own version of an online recipe)
[You can do this with a mixer, but I use a whisk]
Add minced garlic, mustard, and egg yolk in a bowl.  Mix well with a whisk.  Continue to stir while slowly adding Olive Oil.  The mixture will begin to thicken.  After half of the Olive Oil has been stirred in, add the water and lemon juice.  Then continue to whisk in the rest of the olive oil.  Aioli should be like a mayonaise but not as thick. (If it comes out too thick, add small amounts of warm water until it loosens up.)  Season with salt and pepper.  Set aside until Burger prep.

Meanwhile, grill/cook the hamburger patties. Cook bacon slices. Set both aside.

To make the Onions:
Cut onion in half, then slice into long thin strips. Heat a large frying pan on medium-high heat and add in butter and garlic. Once butter is melted, add onions. Sautee onions for about 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently. Onions will be done when they are soft, caramelized and brown. Set aside until Burger prep.

To Assemble the Burgers:
Spread Aioli onto the top and bottom buns.  Lay arugula on the bottom bun, then add the a hamburger patty.  Spread a generous amount of goat cheese on top of the cooked burger.  Then add 3 short peices of thick bacon.  On top of that, pour a generous amount of onions.  Top it with the other bun.  


Seriously delicious!

I wish I could share a picture, but my camera fell into the sand at the beach and is subsequently broken :( 

No comments: